Close to a thousand hogs were killed in a blaze at a confinement near Wellman over the weekend. Wellman Fire Chief Jeremy Peck says his department was called to 1074 Ginkgo Avenue at about 3:45 Sunday afternoon. He says they arrived to find the eastern portion of the nursery engulfed in flames. He says they immediately called the Kalona Fire Department for mutual aide, and together they were able to extinguish the fire. Wellman firefighters were again called to the facility at about 10:00 last night to put out some remaining hot embers. Peck says nothing about the fire seemed suspicious and that it was likely caused by electrical problems or a faulty heater. The confinement is owned by Dave Schuman. The hogs belonged to David Eichelberger
No related posts.