The One to Count On...

Heat Your Home Safely this Winter

Posted: Friday, November 12th, 2010 at 6:30 am

The Iowa Utilities Board is reminding consumers to stay safe when heating your home this season.  The IUB says never use a gas stove or oven for space heating, leave open burning fireplaces unattended, or leave burning candles unattended.  Wood-burning fireplaces and devices, candles, and portable fire pits are all fire hazards.  According to the National Fire Protection Association, electric and kerosene heaters cause the most home fires during winter when more fires occur.  Overloading electrical circuits also cause many winter fires.  Electric space heaters can help compensate for a cooler inside temperature and can be efficient when used on a limited basis to heat small, localized areas.  However, they too can be dangerous and a fire hazard.  For a complete list of heating safety tips, visit