The One to Count On...

Fire in Rural Kalona Destroys Building and Vehicle

Posted: Monday, January 16th, 2012 at 6:30 am
Author: KCII News - Bill Gatchel

[simage=2809,400,n,center]

Around 7:15 yesterday morning, the Washington County Safety Center received a report of a fire at 2196 140th Street, the Simon Nisly residence.  [sthumbs=2807|2808|2810|2811,200,2,n,center]

Kalona Fire Chief Steve Yotty said the cause of the fire was from a malfunction in a heat lamp in the shed being used to keep the family’s dogs warm. He says the dogs were able to escape the building unharmed, but the shed is a total loss.The fire also spread to a nearby parked vehicle and is a total loss as well. Those responding to the scene were the Kalona Fire Department and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.