As the temperatures return to normal, Alliant Energy wants to pass along tips to area residents of the dangers of a gas leak and how they can be prevented. Alliant spokesman Justin Foss says gas leaks are uncommon, but can happen any time natural gas is used. He says they add a chemical smell to their natural gas to make leaks easier to detect.
Foss says if a leak is detected, residents are advised to leave the home immediately and not to touch anything that could create a spark like a light switch, telephone, or cell phone.
He adds to not look for the source of the leak but to contact their office as soon as possible at 1-800-ALLIANT.