The One to Count On...

Fire at Apartment Building in Washington

Posted: Friday, March 8th, 2013 at 10:14 am
Author: Sally Y. Hart

Crews work to extinguish a fire at an apartment building in Washington on Friday morning.

A fire broke out at an apartment building at 210 East 14th Street in Washington this morning.
According to 2nd Assistant Chief Jim Williams, the fire broke out in a first floor apartment due to a grease fire on the stove.

Williams stated that there was extensive damage to the unit where the fire began and smoke damage to other apartments in the building.

He said that Red Cross has been contacted for the residents who are now unable to inhabit the building.

Washington Fire Department crews, Washington Police, Washington County Ambulance and local first responders were on scene for approximately two and a half hours. Also, personnel from Alliant Energy were on scene to kill power to the building.

Residents of the two-story building waited in a nearby parking lot while crews worked to extinguish the fire.