Washington County 4-H was 6th at the Iowa State Fair with the number of horticulture exhibits. Area 4-H members and sisters, Shelly and Lindsey Palmer of Wellman each received champion and reserve champion ribbons. Shelly Palmer received champion ribbons for red slicing tomato, yellow slicing tomato, other summer squash, other bell pepper and other herb. Lindsey Palmer took home a champion ribbon for basil.
Washington County exhibitors placed as follows:
- Blue ribbons: yellow slicing tomato; basil; peppers sweet, bell, green; squash summer, scallop or patty pan; squash green, acorn, winter
- Red ribbons: red slicing tomato; red cocktail type tomato; parsley; herb collection; peppers sweet, bell, green
- Purple ribbons: any other individual herb; squash winter, acorn, green
- Blue ribbons: red slicing tomato; cherry type red tomato; yellow slicing tomato; herb collection; peppers sweet, bell, green; squash summer, scallop or patty pan; squash summer, any other variety
- Red ribbons: cocktail type red tomato; basil; onions, yellow
- White ribbons:cherry type red tomato