The One to Count On...

Washington Basketball Splits at Fairfield

Posted: Saturday, January 25th, 2014 at 8:30 am
Author: KCII Radio- Drew Shradel

The Washington Demons split a conference double header against Fairfield on Friday.

The girls’ team was in a close game until fourth quarter, when their depth got Farifield tired and they pulled away for the 58-51 win.

Washington’s biggest lead by five at one point, but the Trojans kept scoring to get back in the game. Hanna Greiner and Taylor Ferrel gave the Demons some serious trouble in the first half, but the Demons continued their game plan and found a way to keep the score.

In the second half Washington figured out Fairfield’s aggressive defense, in which they sent thee players out to trap the ball and try and grab a jump ball, but once the Demons start to recognize this, they drove to the lane and picked up fouls. Washington got Marissa Repp and Ferrel to foul out in the game. Washington led by one after three, but in the fourth quarter, made many trips to the line, landed about half of the, and that was all they needed to grab the win.

Washington is now 2-1 in the Southeast conference, and with the Mt. Pleasant’s loss to Keokuk last night, Washington and Keokuk are tied for first place in the conference.

Head coach Phil Long said his bench was a big part of the win.

“I think our conditioning really showed in the fourth quarter, that we were still fresh, and this is one of the biggest games that our bench contributed some major minutes that allowed us to maintain leads, or hang with, if you will, while our starters were getting some rest, and actually expand the lead or do some real positives, and we got that from every kid on the bench,” Long said.

Washington was led by Grace Redlinger with 21 points, Addie Shive and Morgan Kimball added eight, and Dema Giardino had seven.

In the boys’ game, Washington had the wheels fall off.

The Demons lost 72-53 to the Trojans, and never looked comfortable in the game. In the first half, Washington did not get a lot of calls which led to frustration, but the Demons were down by just nine at half.

In the second half, Washington’s shot went ice cold, and Fairfield used their size and height down low to toss it in and run the score. Fairfield went on a 14-4 run in the third quarter, which put the game out of reach for Washington to do anything.

Demon head coach Bryce Smeins talked after the game about what he saw from his team.

“I just thought tonight we did a lot of standing, and then we’d pass the ball, and then we’d stand there and watch the other guy pass it, and I just thought that our offensive movement and continuity was bad tonight, and that led to bad shots and uncomfortable shots, and then when we did get a good look, we didn’t make the dang thing,” Smeins said.

Washington was led by Thomas Bump with 14 points, while Gage Redlinger added nine, and Daryn Seibelius had eight. Fairfield’s Federico Ferretti had 29 against the Demons.

The Washington girls are back in action on Monday against Ft. Madison, while the boys will wait until Tuesday to face the Bloodhounds.