The One to Count On...

UPDATE: House Fire in Washington Started on the Stove

Posted: Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 at 6:30 am
Author: KCII staff

Firefighters work to extinguish a fire in Washington Tuesday night. Photos by Sally Y. Hart and Joe Nichols.

Emergency crews extinguished a house fire in Washington Tuesday night.

The fire was in a single-story house at the corner of East Madison Street and South 9th Avenue. According to the Washington County Communications Office, at 8:40 p.m. dispatch received a call of a fire in the kitchen at 401 South 9th Avenue that began with grease on the stove. Everyone was outside. Siding was peeling away from the house and firefighters cut holes in the roof to extinguish the fire. Washington Fire Department, Washington Police, Washington County Sheriff’s personnel, Alliant Energy and Washington County Ambulance responded to the scene. Crews were there past 10 p.m. working on the scene and were called back for smoke coming from the roof at 5:25 a.m. Wednesday. Visit KCII Radio’s Facebook page for photos from the scene.