The One to Count On...

Don’t Let Fires Ruin your Holiday Season

Posted: Monday, November 12th, 2018 at 6:24 am
Author: Brandon Shanahan - KCII News

With temperatures dropping, it’s important to be safe when finding additional means of heat. Ainsworth Fire Chief Waylon Schultz says this time of year there are a lot of fires caused by people using alternative sources of heat such as space heaters and fireplaces. They can be a good way to heat up your home, but Schultz adds that it’s important to use and maintain them correctly, “The important part of using space heaters is to not plug them into power strips, plug them directly into a wall outlet and only use them if you’re going to be home and around them. Always make sure your chimney is getting cleaned out, if you don’t know how there are definitely companies who will come out and clean it for you.” In addition to those practices, this is a good time of year to make sure all of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.